Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter

29 Mar

Here are some answers that you might like to share.

1. Together we’re better

Teaching can be a lonely business. In a school where lessons are long and lunchtimes are short, not enough conversations between teachers I work with are about learning. We simply don’t have time. Twitter can be like a virtual staffroom for me, which I can step into when it suits me: in the queue at the supermarket or waiting for for the kettle to boil. I know that within seconds I can access a stream of links, ideas, opinion and resources from a hand-picked selection of global professionals.

2. Global or local: you choose

Whilst some Twitter users will not tolerate many overtly egotistical self-publicisers (some celebrities have come under fire for using the service just to broadcast banalities to their flocks of fans), there is no doubt that Twitter users have the potential to reach very large international audiences. In educational terms this is a real eye-opener: before using Twitter I had only limited understanding of educational systems and practices in countries like Australia and the US. It’s now possible for me to actively compare what’s happening in schools in my county with others on different continents. GPS-enabled devices like iPhones and the advanced web search facility allow searches which tell you what people are tweeting within a certain distance of a location, so if the other side of the world isn’t your bag, you can stick with your own patch.

3. Self-awareness and reflective practice

Excellent teachers reflect on what they are doing in their schools and look at what is going well in order to maintain and develop it, and what needs improvement in order to make it better. Teachers on Twitter share these reflections and both support and challenge each other. Reading about other educators’ experiences has made me question my own practice on a number of occasions, and whilst the resulting changes may only be incremental they are nonetheless important steps in the journey to improvement.

4. Ideas workshop and sounding board

Twitter is a great medium for sharing ideas and getting instant feedback. Its speed and instanteity means you can gather a range of opinions and constructive criticism within minutes; which can help enormously whether you are planning a learning experience, writing a policy or putting a job application together. Just this week, Doug Belshaw (@dajbelshaw) shared the experience of preparing for a job interview and used Twitter during interview to demonstrate the intellectual and professional clout of his impressive network.

As a further example, I tweeted whilst writing this post:

tweetqu

Within minutes various kind followers had responded with suggestions, including:

tweet1

Whilst Twitter users do not have to use it synchronously like instant messanging software, the tool does lend itself well to quick responses.

5. Newsroom and innovation showcase

Sitting down with a newspaper is not a luxury I have the time to enjoy every day. Twitter helps me stay up to date on news and current affairs, as well as on the latest developments in my areas of interest:  school leadership, technology and languages. By following leading individuals and organisations, Twitter users can stay right at the bleeding edge of innovation and creativity, and literally be among the first to know when a new product is launched, article is published or opinion is voiced.

Whilst very innovative folk, teachers equally spend far too much time reinventing the wheel. Twitter helps me to be smarter about my work by sharing resources, ideas, training materials and policies with other schools. Just this week I am putting together a policy recommendation for staff at my school about ensuring their personal details on Facebook are secure. Several colleagues (including Alex Blagona @blagona and Sacha Van Straten @svanstraten) have been kind enough to share work they had already done in this area. I no longer have to start from scratch and will share my finished policy with any educators who would like it. It’s a bit like the principle of  ’paying it forward’ on a big scale.

6. Professional development and critical friends

One of the best things about training days is the break out time between sessions, when teachers can get together to talk about what they are working on or struggling with. Twitter enables me to have that kind of powerful networking capacity with me all the time. It’s just a matter of finding the right people to follow. As @melaniemcbride said:

“Following smart people on Twitter is like a mental shot of expresso”

Since cash for cover is not always readily available, days out on expensive courses can’t be a regular thing for most teachers. I love to have access to learning on tap through Twitter as it doesn’t require large chunks of my day, or any financial outlay in order to have an impact. Twitter is also a source of healthy debate, and I have learned that if I am going to make a point I can’t be halfhearted about it; as there will be people who disagree! I have grown in confidence when it comes to my own convictions, and now take that back with me into school.

7. Quality-assured searching

I trust the people I follow. I hone and develop the list of people whose insights I value. Drew Buddie (@digitalmaverick) has mentioned several times that he believes his network to be more powerful than Google, and I am beginning to see why. Once your Twitter network grows past a critical mass, you can ask them detailed questions and get higher quality information back than a bog-standard Google search would generally provide, with the inbuilt assurance that it is a respected member of your network providing the information. On a broader scale, Twitter searching provides information about time-linked trending topics that Google cannot.

8. Communicate, communicate, communicate

Expressing yourself in 140 characters is a great discipline. I have become better at saying what needs to be said in my professional communications with less waffle and padding, and I refuse as far as possible to use txtspk. I previously read somewhere that every professional email could in theory be written in just five sentences. That seems luxuriously long!

9. Getting with the times has never been so easy!

There is no good reason why teachers shouldn’t stick with the times, engage with the technology and keep up with the kids. We need to be able to speak the same language and inhabit the same communities (both real and virtual) as our students in order to motivate them and relate to them. Twitter is anything but complicated! You simply visit Twitter.com and create your account. A little light searching using key words for your areas of interest will soon yield a list of interesting people to follow. There are plenty of websites offering advice on getting started and how to avoid a few common beginners’ faux-pas.

Remember, your experience on Twitter is only as high quality as the people who you follow and the information you share.

Your biggest challenge is likely to be getting the twitter.com unblocked on your school network if your main usage will be at school. Personally I find that having Twitter on my iPhone is enough most of the time. I then forward interesting links to my email inbox to look at in detail from my desk.

I hope this piece helps get more teachers involved in using Twitter. Do send it to your teams at school and all those people who don’t quite understand what it’s all about yet. I’m increasingly passionnate about it: Twitter is a very simple tool that allows me to connect with an amazingly clever, resourceful and innovative bunch of people who never fail to inspire and motivate me. Thanks guys!

228 Responses to “Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter”

1. Isabelle Jones March 29, 2009 at 7:22 pm #

Thanks for a brilliant post! I am always searching for different ways to convince my colleagues that Twitter is an effective CPD tool for teachers. I will certainly use this post in the future…
    Isabelle

2. John Pallister March 29, 2009 at 7:58 pm #

Hi Laura – enjoyed the Post – what about providing contact with the person that you Know who will Know the person that you should ask for the info that you want? could be 7b

3. John Pallister March 29, 2009 at 7:58 pm #

4. Sheila Potter March 29, 2009 at 8:43 pm #

Thanks for the invitation to read, and in doing so, to get to know you a little better.

I agree with all you’ve said. Twitter can be powerful. I also like that it – grasping for the words here – lets me listen-in on exclusive conversations from which I would normally be excluded myselfl… influential people in government or media who tweet are often very economical, only twittering about things of great value to their day or their work.
    I am new to using hash tags to follow discussions. It was fascinating to follow #txsboe this week and read live tweets from frustrated teachers in the Texas board of Ed meeting itself – 1000′s of miles away from me.

Cheers!

5. Doug Belshaw March 29, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

Thanks for including the phenomenal response I received from my Twitter network for my interview presentation, Laura! I mentioned that I’d be writing a blog post about my presentation and asked for ideas on it. I got 100+ replies!

What did we do before Twitter? The world seemed a much less helpful place, that’s for sure! :-)

6. Doug Belshaw March 29, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

7. Alex Blagona March 29, 2009 at 9:32 pm #

Great post, Laura.

I first used twitter about 2 years ago, and found it pointless, mainly I suppose because we were not ready for each other at that point. Now people respond to requests, share ideas, and offer advice and encouragement. I’m done with the celebrities on there – although @davegorman still makes me smile. I’m yet to find a real effective use for a school twitter, although I notice that since we started ours, a number of other Suffolk schools have followed suit!

8. Tomaz Lasic March 29, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

A fantastic post, thank you Laura.

FYI, your post will feature prominently at a get-together called Twizza (Twitter & pizza – hashtagged #twizza) next week in Perth, Western Australia. The event will try to introduce Twitter to colleagues (teachers). Watch out for followers from Perth :-)

Thank you again, a marvellous job.

Tomaz
    @lasic

9. Tomaz Lasic March 29, 2009 at 9:54 pm #

A fantastic post, thank you Laura.

Thank you again, a marvellous job.

Tomaz
    @lasic

10. Mary Rodger March 29, 2009 at 9:56 pm #

Thanks for the great post. I am new to twitter and have tried to explain to colleagues how valuable I have found it to be. I haven’t done avery good job. You explained it beautifully. This will really help me when I am explaining to our tech department, why twitter shouldn’t be blocked.

11. Mary Rodger March 29, 2009 at 9:56 pm #

12. jane hake March 30, 2009 at 1:52 am #

Thank you for a great post. I will be sharing twitter at an upcoming PD session for teachers and there are many misconceptions among my teacher peers that I think I will need to address about using twitter as a professional learning network. You have made so many great points here- who you follow is key. Developing a great network of teachers/ learners has makes all the difference. It took afew sessions on twitter to get the network together, but it is worth it. I want to thank all the brilliant twitterers I follow! So I guess I will go tweet that now!
    ateachingheart

13. jane hake March 30, 2009 at 1:52 am #

ateachingheart

14. Donna March 30, 2009 at 2:04 am #

Hi Laura
    Thanks for this great outline – Since joining Twitter – I would say it has been the biggest and best source of learning for me. I am going to try and encourage my reader teachers to join up as a wonderful way to share ideas and resources. I will be including a link to this post – thanks Laura
    Donna

15. Donna March 30, 2009 at 2:04 am #

Hi Laura
    Donna

16. Rodd Lucier March 30, 2009 at 2:14 am #

There is plenty of good advice for educators here, and I’m wondering if you would be interested in reproducing some of this content on a related site. With so many new teacher-users taking advantage of Twitter, we’re compiling an e-book of supportive suggestions at http://twitterforteachers.com. If you’d consider contributing these or other related ideas, I know it would enrich the experience of our site visitors.

Continued success!

Rodd

17. Rodd Lucier March 30, 2009 at 2:14 am #

Continued success!

Rodd

18. Deven Black March 30, 2009 at 2:48 am #

I wish I could measure all I’ve learned from the many, many smart and generous teachers I’ve met on Twitter. I wish I could count the resources I’ve gathered, the ideas I’ve gotten or the encouragement I’ve received from people whom I barely know but with whom I share a vision and a philosophy. Even people with whom I largely disagree have come to my aid when I’ve had a question or problem.

I am lucky to have a close network of colleagues in my job to whom I can go for conversation about students and teaching and to have a principal that encourages and stimulates reflection and useful criticism. But when I need an idea fast, or help introducing a new technology into my classroom, I turn to my Twitter colleagues before the one’s in my school. They are smarter, more experienced and they always seem to be online ready for my queries.

Twitter has made me a better teacher, for sure.

19. Deven Black March 30, 2009 at 2:48 am #

Twitter has made me a better teacher, for sure.

20. Chris Johnson March 30, 2009 at 3:08 am #

I still don’t see any truly compelling reasons to use Twitter after reading this post. Of course teachers should connect with other professionals, but why is Twitter better than just reading and writing via blogs?

To me, constantly updating my status seems unnecessarily wasteful of time and (personally) a little obnoxious. Is it truly possible to meaningfully contribute in so few words? Even if so, what about backing up your opinions with research, data, citations, et cetera?

I don’t mean to sound condescending or accusatory, but I am still wondering what all the hype about Twitter is about. I would truly like to understand. Please email!

21. Chris Johnson March 30, 2009 at 3:08 am #

22. Ed Shepherd March 30, 2009 at 3:27 am #

Thank you for your post… So far I have about ten teachers that are on Twitter and my hope is to get more started. I will definitely share this post with them.

23. Ed Shepherd March 30, 2009 at 3:27 am #

24. SchoolDuggery March 30, 2009 at 5:40 am #

Thanks for a worthwhile reflection on Twiiter. I agree with all your points. One of the great things I have found about using Twitter with my school hat on, is its band width. It provides a huge amount of valuable information in a minimum amount of time. I could probably gather the same information by trawling the blogs of all the great teachers, but I would never have the time. Twitter condenses the information and points me in the direction of the really useful sources.

25. SchoolDuggery March 30, 2009 at 5:40 am #

26. Lynne Horn March 30, 2009 at 6:46 am #

Great post Laura – love be able to share ideas with language teachers across the UK (and world!), but also get ideas from other subject areas and learn a bit more about how technology is used in those subjects.

27. Lynne Horn March 30, 2009 at 6:46 am #

28. Shirley Cooper March 30, 2009 at 4:32 pm #

Thanks for informative article, Laura. I’ve learnt a lot.

29. Shirley Cooper March 30, 2009 at 4:32 pm #

Thanks for informative article, Laura. I’ve learnt a lot.

30. Karlana Kulseth March 30, 2009 at 4:39 pm #

Laura, thank you for posting such wisdom!

I have been an avid Twitter follower and tweeter for a couple of years now. I have been trying to talk it up with fellow educators, but not many really bite.

Twitter can be such a great networking tool, not just with fellow educators, but also among students. We can learn a lot globally just from Twitter alone.

31. Karlana Kulseth March 30, 2009 at 4:39 pm #

Laura, thank you for posting such wisdom!

32. Carol Furchner March 30, 2009 at 6:45 pm #

I’d be interested in hearing (or getting links to information about) how teachers use twitter to communicate with their students – and the plusses, minuses, and pitfalls.

33. Carol Furchner March 30, 2009 at 6:45 pm #

34. Raj March 30, 2009 at 8:10 pm #

This applies to teachers even more as it is often so very lonely behind that “door” once it closes and the lesson starts – the strength of the informal community can do wonders for anyone who has a passion for any pursuit.

35. Raj March 30, 2009 at 8:10 pm #

36. Jonathan Nelson March 30, 2009 at 10:10 pm #

excellent post. here’s an idea for connecting with your teachers and class. create a unique twitter hash like #myuniqueclass and all students and teacher reference that hashtag when communicating with one another.

then head over to http://twittermass.com and plug in that hash. the system will automatically fetch people associated with that hashtag for you. voila! you’re building your classroom network. i can see this working really well for classes that work remotely.

give it a shot!

i’ll be releasing a newer version of twittermass this week. it’s full of lots of cool new stuff.

37. Jonathan Nelson March 30, 2009 at 10:10 pm #

give it a shot!

38. Nick March 30, 2009 at 11:37 pm #

I’m pretty surprised that no where on the list was “keeping parents up-to-date with what’s going on in class”. I would think that this would be the #1 reason for a teacher to use twitter.

-Nick Bernstein, Technical Instructor
    http://nicholasbernstein.com – homepage
    http://nicholasbernstein.com/blog – blog
    http://twitter.com/nickbernstein – twitter

39. Nick March 30, 2009 at 11:37 pm #

-Nick Bernstein, Technical Instructor
    http://nicholasbernstein.com – homepage
    http://nicholasbernstein.com/blog – blog
    http://twitter.com/nickbernstein – twitter

40. Sam Bowne March 31, 2009 at 12:18 am #

I love Twitter, as a source of network security news. I get my friends from http://www.security-twits.com/

Is there a comparable list of tweeting teachers? I’d like to see it broken down by level (grade, community college, 4-year college, grad school), field, and location.

I am already using iClickers in class, and the students love them. The next step–students tweeting to me in class during lectures!

41. Sam Bowne March 31, 2009 at 12:18 am #

42. Mark March 31, 2009 at 1:00 am #

Hi Laura,

Great post and like your ideas. I did a blog about how Twitter opens up PLNs as well. Check it out if you get the chance. I would love to hear your thoughts.

PS Why only 9 reasons and not 10? ;)

43. Mark March 31, 2009 at 1:00 am #

Hi Laura,

PS Why only 9 reasons and not 10? ;)

44. Carmen Holotescu March 31, 2009 at 8:47 am #

Hi,

I enjoyed your post, very good insights about the benefits of Twiter for educators.

Please find some ideas in the article Can we use Twitter for educational activities? – http://tinyurl.com/1paper .

Also we have developed the microblogging platform http://www.cirip.eu for education: online courses, courses enhancement, knowledge management; embeding multimedia objects, private and public groups, feeds monitoring – presentations http://linkbun.ch/86ca .

Thanks, your feedback is welcome,
    Carmen

45. Carmen Holotescu March 31, 2009 at 8:47 am #

Hi,

Thanks, your feedback is welcome,
    Carmen

46. Barbara Rademacher March 31, 2009 at 3:58 pm #

Terrific article. I want to share it will all the other profs and instructors at Northwest Arkansas Community College. The article applies to every classroom, every teaching experience. I also want to follow the author on Twitter

47. Barbara Rademacher March 31, 2009 at 3:58 pm #

48. Vidya A. March 31, 2009 at 6:51 pm #

Great post, but I disagree with this comment: We need to be able to speak the same language and inhabit the same communities (both real and virtual) as our students in order to motivate them and relate to them.

Our students are not heavy users of Twitter. I teach at a community college, I have about six 20-somethings in my class and only one of them had even heard of Twitter, and I have still not got them to become even moderate users. In fact, statistics seem to indicate that heavy users of Twitter are in their 30s or older.

Therefore, if we are talking about inhabiting the same communities and speaking the same language as our students, then we should really be focusing on Facebook, MySpace, and texting because that is where they live, work, play.

That said, as educators and teachers, I do believe that it is incumbent upon us to demonstrate to them all the values listed above that can be accrued by using this tool and becoming a part of the community with it. Doesn’t hurt to teach them to think and write with brevity without using text speak either. And at the other other end of the spectrum, I believe it’s just as important to teach them the importance of deep, reflective thinking and to write for an audience, which is best done with a blog.

Just my two cents worth :-) , and you can find me on Twitter at “mapetite”.

49. Vidya A. March 31, 2009 at 6:51 pm #

Just my two cents worth :-) , and you can find me on Twitter at “mapetite”.

50. Carolyn Foote March 31, 2009 at 6:54 pm #

What a great way to explore the usefulness of twitter!

I’ve been building a list of resources for teachers about twitter on my blog, and this will go on the list.

I think what was mentioned earlier about Twitter being a wonderful resource to “follow” people in many fields is what I’m starting to find much value in. And being one of only two on staff who do my job, it’s nice to have the professional feedback and community!

51. Bob Calder March 31, 2009 at 8:07 pm #

Google is and outside-in search strategy if you just start hitting the keys. Use your network to get inside a community and search outward using tools like scholar.googe.com The next step is getting something to read it for you which means getting a reader that does semantic evaluation on deep web results. There are engines for this. That’s why Twine and Twitter are a lovely combination. Following enough people to make it worthwhile is tiring if you only use Twitter. The noise to signal ratio is brutal, for me anyway.

I teach high school and have plenty of students twittering in advanced classes. My job is to get the other kids to understand why it works.

52. Bob Calder March 31, 2009 at 8:07 pm #

53. MaryLou April 1, 2009 at 6:46 pm #

Laura,
    I am new to Twitter and after reading your post, I am excited to learn more about it. I particularly like your reflection comments. We can do the same thing over and over again (laminate our lesson plans), but until we reflect with someone else, we can’t truly analyze the factors that caused the results. Thanks.

54. MaryLou April 1, 2009 at 6:46 pm #

Laura,

55. Jennifer Clark Evans April 5, 2009 at 12:05 pm #

Great list, which obviously generated a lot of feedback. What I like most about all of these new resources for teachers is the eagerness with which we want to share them with others. How many of your comments here are about passing it on? Of course, this helps our own networks grow, but also demonstrates the genuine care and helpfulness that we want to share to help our colleagues find ways to improve their own practice.

56. Jennifer Clark Evans April 5, 2009 at 12:05 pm #

57. pirategirl April 5, 2009 at 2:17 pm #

Awesome! I, too, and always looking for ways to convince the staff in the rather large school where I work as technology integrator to join their students in the 21st Century. The cool thing is that I found your blog because colleague posted it on Facebook and Twitter. I will need to start following you on Twitter and subscribing to this blog. Besides, I love the British style of writing. Always seems so superior to us Yanks.

• mrslwalker April 5, 2009 at 2:19 pm #

Really glad you liked it!

58. pirategirl April 5, 2009 at 2:17 pm #

59. Andy Kesling April 6, 2009 at 6:23 am #

Laura,

Thanks for your thoughts on the benefits of Twitter for teachers. I have posted a mention of your article on Stuff Teachers Want, a new blog for teachers about tips, products and services. You may see the post at:

Warm regards,
    Andy Kesling

60. Andy Kesling April 6, 2009 at 6:23 am #

Laura,

Warm regards,
    Andy Kesling

61. Chris Cannon April 6, 2009 at 3:15 pm #

Thanks for the great information. As an author this helps me to better understand the needs that parents and teachers have.

Thanks!

62. Chris Cannon April 6, 2009 at 3:15 pm #

Thanks!

63. Waylesswoods April 13, 2009 at 3:17 am #

10. You can encourage learning through public issues debates. http://www.twitter.com/The_Pub_Debates poses questions and includes a link to materials which can start the conversation.

64. Waylesswoods April 13, 2009 at 3:17 am #

65. Kevin Mc Laughlin May 1, 2009 at 6:36 pm #

Thanks for the post Laura, it’s a very enlightening and interesting read. Being a Primary Teacher I love the idea of using Twitter in class in a Geography topic or for keeping in contact with parents.
    I’ll pass on a link to this for the rest of the staff in my school to have a read.

66. Kevin L. Moll June 16, 2009 at 3:04 am #

I can’t say if I will find the process enjoyable or not. You see I’m an old dog trying to learn a new trick or two before I call it a career. I can say that I found this article informative and the added comments thought provoking and wide ranging. I think I will have to try to twitter.

67. Kevin L. Moll June 16, 2009 at 3:04 am #

68. Anna Hazeldine June 19, 2009 at 9:27 am #

Really useful perspective and advice on teachers using Twitter to help each other and themselves – I was surprised not to read anything about using Twitter with learners – ie using Twitter in the job of teaching and learning. It’s not all about the teachers being wll-connected and looked after.

69. dave t June 21, 2009 at 8:06 pm #

Asked for twitter to be unblocked on my students’ S5/6 blog so the students could access updates on resources etc added to their blog. Refused as it is not covered by Acceptable Use Policy (still dated 2001 and talking about bulletin boards!) and also security cited claiming that twitter was used to carry out attacks on businesses….and you wonder why some local authorities are still in the late 19th Century…..great article Laura. Mentioned on my own blog as well.

70. mike619 June 22, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

Very interesting observations about the use of Twitter. I do see the professional development aspect and how it can help people collaborate more often, even daily. It does make sense that when a person has a large network they get varied viewpoints to which they may not have access to quickly using other media.

71. mike619 June 22, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

72. Mike 619 June 23, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

I can see how twitter can be useful in professional development. The facilitator of a conference can be asked further questions through twitter afterwards. Also, it can help us stay connect to contacts we have made throughout the years to get feedback on issues or other insights.

73. Mike 619 June 23, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

74. Mike June 26, 2009 at 1:32 am #

I think these are nine reasons teachers should use Twitter. I don’t know about them all being “great”. I can’t help thinking that most teachers at my school would laugh me out of a room if I recommended Twitter. Twitter gets as much funny looks as recommending all teachers should blog.

75. Mike June 26, 2009 at 1:32 am #

76. Tony August 26, 2009 at 4:30 pm #

Thanks for posting this. I’ll add it to my arsenal. I’ve already written a blog post, sent to my teachers, on why they should be using Twitter and how to get started. I’ve shared success story after success story. I’ve passed along great resources I’ve found, sure to point out that “I found this via Twitter!”, etc. But, at our all-hands meeting yesterday when our Director asked how many were on Twitter, 3 teachers raised their hands. That’s 3 out of about 150 teachers. Very sad. Worse, I *STILL* hear comments like “I don’t care what you’re having for dinner or what movie you’re watching right now!” I guess it’s obvious most aren’t reading the Twitter posts I’m sending them. Sigh.

77. Tony August 26, 2009 at 4:30 pm #

78. sandra742 September 9, 2009 at 3:54 pm #

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.

79. sandra742 September 9, 2009 at 3:54 pm #

80. Andrew Marcinek November 11, 2009 at 7:58 pm #

Great post! I have been trying to get this started in my department and it is slowly but surely coming together. I think it works great for professional development and school collaboration. A lot of my colleagues are hesitant to put their foot in the twitter universe, but I feel this will soon change.

I am posting your site to the one comment a day project. Please have a look at our ning and feel free to join, share and collaborate with our burgeoning community.

81. Andrew Marcinek November 11, 2009 at 7:58 pm #

82. janwebb December 10, 2009 at 3:27 pm #

I had been a twitter-sceptic until very recently – but in the short time I have been regularly using, have become a convert, completely hooked – the points made are enormously helpful when trying to explain to colleagues the potential use of this tool.

83. Mark Jenkins March 9, 2010 at 9:17 am #

Great article – have added a link in our prof dev moodle.
    I set up a twitter account about 3 years ago and never really saw the use of it until I read a post of James Clay’s elearningstuff blog

84. Mark Jenkins March 9, 2010 at 9:17 am #

Great article – have added a link in our prof dev moodle.

85. Beth Crumpler November 1, 2011 at 1:08 am #

Great post! Thanks for writing this and sharing it. I have been collecting articles, videos and posts written about why teachers should use Twitter for a blog post I wrote about a month ago that is full of resources and for a Glog (Interactive Poster) I created with the resources. I have added your post to my Glog for teachers to reference and read. If you go to my Glog http://adaptivelearnin.edu.glogster.com/why-teachers-should-join-twitter scroll your mouse over one of the handwritten hashtags in the left of the screen, you will find the link to your article. When you hover over the hashtag if a pink circle occurs around the image, then that image has a link. The Glog is full of resources and links. I will be adding your article to my blog post later this week called, “Why Teachers Should Join Twitter…What I Have Learned as a Twitter Newbie”. You can access my blog post too at http://adaptivelearnin.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/why-teachers-should-join-twitter-what-i-have-learned-as-a-twitter-newbie/. All of the resources that are in my blog post and more are included in my interactive poster, Glog. I created the Glog so that people can use it for presentations, share with staff members, etc. on why teachers should join Twitter. I did this because I know many people were sharing my blog post and one’s like it to help inform educators/ teachers on why they should use Twitter. The interactive poster, Glog, is an interactive visual of the resources that can easily be embedded into websites, used on computers, pad computers, or Interactive Whiteboards and used for presentations. It’s visually appealing for this sort of thing. I love your post here. You have discussed some reasons teachers should join Twitter, that I have not even thought of. I will be sharing your post a lot. Thanks so much for writing it. -Beth

86. Beth Crumpler November 1, 2011 at 1:08 am #

87. mrslwalker June 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm #

Quite interested to hear what you think “communicating normally” is exactly!

Also I am a UK teacher so the experience cited here is not ‘from across the pond’.

88. mrslwalker June 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm #

Quite interested to hear what you think “communicating normally” is exactly!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Twitter THIS! (*#^%!$*@) « Left Lane Ends - March 30, 2009

[...] molecule in my body I am forcing myself to try twitter. I am SO tired of hearing that it is the next BIG THING. UGH. Enough already!! I can’t STAND the whole FaceBook world and wish people would get their [...]

2. Twitter THIS! (*#^%!$*@) « Left Lane Ends - March 30, 2009

3. Teacher Twitters the future of reflective practice? « WycombeWinAway - March 31, 2009

[...] came across these 2 sites which help to

4. Teacher Twitters the future of reflective practice? « WycombeWinAway - March 31, 2009

[...] came across these 2 sites which help to

5. My PLN « Kristina Dimini’s Blog - March 31, 2009

[...] on Twitter I came across a post called: Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter. When I was reading this post I couldn’t help but think, YES! YES! YES! Twitter has greatly [...]

6. My PLN « Kristina Dimini’s Blog - March 31, 2009

7. links for 2009-03-30 « doug - off the record - March 31, 2009

[...] Delicious Account Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker March 31, 2009Teaching is not a Dirty Word – The Interactive Whiteboard Revolution March 31, 2009My [...]

8. links for 2009-03-30 « doug - off the record - March 31, 2009

9. How ‘microblogging’ sites such as Twitter can be used in education - elearnr - March 31, 2009

[...] educational setting, you could do a lot worse than checking out Laura Walker’s post entitled Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter. Although I’ve tried using it with students, it’s not something I’d recommend for [...]

10. How ‘microblogging’ sites such as Twitter can be used in education - elearnr - March 31, 2009

11. Ligações do dia : Re-Formar - March 31, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter [...]

12. Ligações do dia : Re-Formar - March 31, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter [...]

13. Cat Tech » Blog Archive » Nine great reasons for teachers to use Twitter - March 31, 2009

[...] what we would consider an Educational Technologist in England, Laura Walker, recently discussed nine great reasons for teachers to use Twitter:Together we’re betterGlobal or local: you chooseSelf-awareness and reflective practiceIdeas [...]

14. Cat Tech » Blog Archive » Nine great reasons for teachers to use Twitter - March 31, 2009

15. 9 reasons for educators to use Twitter | Hello (a blog from Stratepedia) - March 31, 2009

[...] Walker has written a great post in her blog, listing nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter. All excellent ideas, and not just for classroom [...]

16. 9 reasons for educators to use Twitter | Hello (a blog from Stratepedia) - March 31, 2009

17. A Growing Interest in Twitter « Sheri Missal’s Blog - March 31, 2009

[...] If I still do not have you hooked on becoming a part of Twitter, check out this blog, Nine Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter [...]

18. A Growing Interest in Twitter « Sheri Missal’s Blog - March 31, 2009

19. social-technology » Teaching and Twitter? - March 31, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker [...]

20. social-technology » Teaching and Twitter? - March 31, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker [...]

21. links for 2009-03-31 « Donna Murray - April 1, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker (tags: blogpost resources professionaldevelopment socialnetworking twitter) [...]

22. links for 2009-03-31 « Donna Murray - April 1, 2009

23. RSC Wales Adult and Community Learning Blog - April 1, 2009

[...] Walker’s blog post “Nine great reasons

24. Die Vögel twittern es von den Bäumen | kaliban - April 1, 2009

[...] ein(en?) Badge. Kurze Zwischenfrage: Ist irgendwer Neil Gaiman-Fan? Oder Geschäftsmann? Oder gar Lehrer? Egal. Wer Langeweile hat, kann ja was spielen. Oder mal gucken, ob er eines der zahllosen Tools [...]

25. Die Vögel twittern es von den Bäumen | kaliban - April 1, 2009

26. teach with twitter - F.A.S.T. Lane - April 2, 2009

[...] Walker has a great post over on her blog, mrslwalker, about nine great reasons that teachers should be using Twitter to communicate with their students. [...]

27. teach with twitter - F.A.S.T. Lane - April 2, 2009

28. Diigo Roll-Up: Links and Things (weekly) « Digital Learning 2.0 - April 5, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker [...]

29. Diigo Roll-Up: Links and Things (weekly) « Digital Learning 2.0 - April 5, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker [...]

30. Mike DeFoe’ Blog » Twitter Updates for 2009-04-03 - April 5, 2009

[...] Have your teachers check out: http://mrslwalker.com/?p=79620905 “Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter” 1 day [...]

31. Mike DeFoe’ Blog » Twitter Updates for 2009-04-03 - April 5, 2009

32. newteacherresourcecenter.com » Blog Archive » 9 Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter - April 6, 2009

[...] While on vacation in New York City this week visiting family, I found some time today to do some web hunting for good sites that may serve your lesson planning and classroom management needs. I came across this very timely post on nine reasons why teachers should use twitter. [...]

33. newteacherresourcecenter.com » Blog Archive » 9 Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter - April 6, 2009

34. 9 great reasons why teachers should use Twitter « Brave new world - April 6, 2009

[...] Laura Walker posted 9 great reasons why teachers should use Twitter. [...]

35. 9 great reasons why teachers should use Twitter « Brave new world - April 6, 2009

36. Twitter « KIS library blog - April 6, 2009

[...] First – a link to 9 great reasons why teachers should use Twitter. [...]

37. Twitter « KIS library blog - April 6, 2009

[...] First – a link to 9 great reasons why teachers should use Twitter. [...]

38. Geek Central » Blog Archive » 9 Great Reasons Teachers Should Use Twitter - April 6, 2009

[...] Walker has put it best here…and yes, I found this via Twitter! addthis_url = [...]

39. Geek Central » Blog Archive » 9 Great Reasons Teachers Should Use Twitter - April 6, 2009

40. Why should educators twitter? | - April 7, 2009

[...] Laura’s post (via Jane’s E-Learning Pick of the Day), she quotes @melaniemcbride: “Following smart [...]

41. Why should educators twitter? | - April 7, 2009

42. Teachers who Twitter Assignment 4 | Read the Net Class Blog - April 7, 2009

[...] Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Twitter [...]

43. Teachers who Twitter Assignment 4 | Read the Net Class Blog - April 7, 2009

[...] Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Twitter [...]

44. Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker « LTSG - April 9, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker By mgvh@ltsg Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker [...]

45. Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker « LTSG - April 9, 2009

46. Information on Using Twitter in Education and Business « 4R x T - April 11, 2009

[...] Blog Post:

47. Information on Using Twitter in Education and Business « 4R x T - April 11, 2009

[...] Blog Post:

48. Journalists using new media | Save the Media - April 12, 2009

[...] role of newspapers: Laura Walker offers a list of nine reasons teachers should use Twitter that are important because all nine apply [...]

49. Journalists using new media | Save the Media - April 12, 2009

50. Children’s Literacy and Reading News Round Up - 13 April | Scrub-a-Dub-Tub - April 13, 2009

[...] Literacies Slowly, we’re nudging Jen toward Twitter. Hopefully reading Laura Walker’s Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter will inch her a little closer! Thanks to Choice Literacy’s Big Fresh for the [...]

51. Twitter « Philosophieren im Web 2.0 - April 13, 2009

[...] nine reasons why teachers should use twitter [...]

52. Twitter « Philosophieren im Web 2.0 - April 13, 2009

[...] nine reasons why teachers should use twitter [...]

53. Why use Twitter? « Wilfong’s World - April 13, 2009

[...] Here is an interesting post by Laura Walker.

54. Why use Twitter? « Wilfong’s World - April 13, 2009

[...] Here is an interesting post by Laura Walker.

55. Twitter in Education - How? | JAG Stacks - April 13, 2009

[...] more information: Laura Walker’s, Nine Great Reasons Teachers Should Use Twitter 21 Ways Teachers are using Twitter and Twitter Reading [...]

56. Twitter in Education - How? | JAG Stacks - April 13, 2009

57. Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter | Follow the White Rabbit - April 14, 2009

[...] Laura Walker answers the following questions on her site: What’s the point of Twitter? Why should educators get involved? What difference does using Twitter make? [...]

58. Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter | Follow the White Rabbit - April 14, 2009

59. Tweet Tweet! | Library Connection - April 14, 2009

[...] sit and read blog after blog or scour the web for the best ideas, Twitter might be for you!

60. Tweet Tweet! | Library Connection - April 14, 2009

61. Computer-Based Training » Blog Archive » Multimedia in Learning Applications - - April 15, 2009

[...] Here are a couple of citations that might help you improve how to teach/train people: There are several advantages to screencasting both from the user’s side as well as from the creator’s. From the point of view of the audience, the screencast allows them to learn by example, seeing every step in great detail. Learning by watching the host move through the steps enables them to take note of where everything is in the application or presentation. In most cases the ability to pause or rewind also gives the viewer the power to move at their own pace… something a classroom cannot always offer. Focus on meaning and not information In traditional education, teacher is in the center and interactions are mostly between student and teacher. With Web 2.0 tools, many more connections–can connect to other classes, experts, etc. It ain’t always easy to dive into eLearning. It always looks much easier than it ease. Although everyone learns most from their mistakes, it does save a lot of money if you keep some tips in the back of your mind. Twitter can be like a virtual staffroom for me, which I can step into when it suits me: in the queue… [...]

62. Computer-Based Training » Blog Archive » Multimedia in Learning Applications - - April 15, 2009

63. Two interesting articles about twitter « Der mitteleuropäische Kanalelefant - April 21, 2009

[...] http://mrslwalker.com/?p=79620905 [...]

64. Two interesting articles about twitter « Der mitteleuropäische Kanalelefant - April 21, 2009

[...] http://mrslwalker.com/?p=79620905 [...]

65. “Nine great reasons why teachers should use twitter” | Blogexperiment - April 21, 2009

[...] This is the title of an article by Laura Walker. You can find here: Nine reasons… [...]

66. “Nine great reasons why teachers should use twitter” | Blogexperiment - April 21, 2009

67. Why should a teacher use Twitter? « Salla’s Blog - April 21, 2009

[...] read Laura Walker’s article “Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter” on web http://mrslwalker.com/index.php/2009/03/29/nine-great-reasons-why-teachers-should-use-twitter/. I think it was very useful, because Twitter is such a new world to me. While reading it a lot of [...]

68. Why should a teacher use Twitter? « Salla’s Blog - April 21, 2009

69. Thinking about twitter « Rhondda’s Reflections - wandering around the Web - April 24, 2009

[...] Walker had a very

70. Thinking about twitter « Rhondda’s Reflections - wandering around the Web - April 24, 2009

[...] Walker had a very

71. Worth The Hype: Twitter « Learning In A YottaByte World - April 24, 2009

[...] If you are a teacher, Laura Walker AKA @mrslwalker offers “9 Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter.” [...]

72. Worth The Hype: Twitter « Learning In A YottaByte World - April 24, 2009

73. links for 2009-04-28 « Donna Murray - April 29, 2009

[...] Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter (tags: blogpost list professionaldevelopment twitter) [...]

74. links for 2009-04-28 « Donna Murray - April 29, 2009

75. Twitter Guide for Teachers | Blogging & Technology | So You Want To Teach? - May 2, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter [...]

76. Twitter Guide for Teachers | Blogging & Technology | So You Want To Teach? - May 2, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter [...]

77. Referencias sobre las aplicaciones educativas de Twitter - DigiZen:Un blogfesor aprendiendo - May 20, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker [...]

78. Referencias sobre las aplicaciones educativas de Twitter - DigiZen:Un blogfesor aprendiendo - May 20, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Laura Walker [...]

79. simplekaywa - Twitterhandbuch für Lehrpersonen - May 28, 2009

[...] 9 Gründe, weshalb Lehrpersonen Twitter benützen sollten: Zusammen sind wir besser global oder lokal (Verständnis für Lehren und Lernen in anderen Ländern fördern) Selbstwahrnhmung und reflektive Praxis Ideen tauschen und qualifiziertes Feedback erhalten Professionalisierung Selbstdisziplin beim Kommunizieren in 140 Zeichen. Die Erfahrung mit Twitter ist so gut wie das Netzwerk ist. Quelle: Laura Walker Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter [...]

80. simplekaywa - Twitterhandbuch für Lehrpersonen - May 28, 2009

81. How many teachers on Twitter ? | For Teachers - past, present & future - June 10, 2009

[...] perspective, the choice is yours.

82. How many teachers on Twitter ? | For Teachers - past, present & future - June 10, 2009

[...] perspective, the choice is yours.

83. Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter « Innovations Lab - June 21, 2009

[...] Leave a Comment  I came across this blog article by Laura Walker and I liked it: Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter.

84. Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter « Innovations Lab - June 21, 2009

85. Twitter from your classroom « Enduring Ethos - June 30, 2009

[...] If you want more in depth info on using Twitter, check this article at School Library Journal.

86. Great Links for More Twitter Info - July 3, 2009

[...] Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter

87. Great Links for More Twitter Info - July 3, 2009

[...] Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter

88. The Henricus » Top 10 Tools - July 23, 2009

[...] much more useful.

89. The Henricus » Top 10 Tools - July 23, 2009

[...] much more useful.

90. Learning tweets (Part 1) « Ivichie Says - July 23, 2009

[...] useful: English articles: Google Waves Preview How To Use (Internal) Micro blogging For Education Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter Professors experiment with Twitter as teaching tool School Systems’ Tweets Are a One-Way [...]

91. Learning tweets (Part 1) « Ivichie Says - July 23, 2009

92. Unlearning my preconceptions about Twitter « PLS Online Course Development - July 24, 2009

[...] Together we’re better…Teaching can be a lonely business. In a school where lessons are long and lunchtimes are short, not enough conversations between teachers I work with are about learning. We simply don’t have time. Twitter can be like a virtual staffroom for me, which I can step into when it suits me: in the queue at the supermarket or waiting for the kettle to boil. – Laura Walker [...]

93. Unlearning my preconceptions about Twitter « PLS Online Course Development - July 24, 2009

94. simplekaywa - Wieso twitterst Du ? - August 2, 2009

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter von Laura Walker, @mrslwalker auf [...]

95. simplekaywa - Wieso twitterst Du ? - August 2, 2009

96. Twitter as a Teaching Resource « This Teaching Life - August 20, 2009

[...] Link Two – Laura Walker writes nine reasons why teachers should use Twitter [...]

97. Twitter as a Teaching Resource « This Teaching Life - August 20, 2009

98. California Virtual Campus » About CVC » Tips to Twitterfy your Teaching - August 20, 2009

[...] involved with a network. Twitter is an incredibly powerful tool to use for your own learning, and Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter presents ideas and use cases to inspire its use for professional [...]

99. California Virtual Campus » About CVC » Tips to Twitterfy your Teaching - August 20, 2009

100. Diigo University- Day 1 « Life in the Renaissance - August 31, 2009

[...] A nice collection of reasons to use Twitter. Collaboration, Global, Reflective, Professional Development and more. Check it out… http://mrslwalker.com/index.php/2009/03/29/nine-great-reasons-why-teachers-should-use-twitter [...]

101. Diigo University- Day 1 « Life in the Renaissance - August 31, 2009

102. Justin K. Reeve (justinreeve) 's status on Friday, 18-Sep-09 00:06:15 UTC - Identi.ca - September 18, 2009

[...] http://mrslwalker.com/index.php/2009/03/29/nine-great-reasons-why-teachers-should-use-twitter/ a few seconds ago from web [...]

103. Justin K. Reeve (justinreeve) 's status on Friday, 18-Sep-09 00:06:15 UTC - Identi.ca - September 18, 2009

104. changED - September 27, 2009

[...] Why Teachers Should Use Twitter [...]

105. changED - September 27, 2009

[...] Why Teachers Should Use Twitter [...]

106. Tweetback « bluyonder - October 2, 2009

[...] of the Twitter crowds, I am interested to see how it will be applied in learning spaces.

107. Teacher Toolbox « S & D Inglês Personalizado - October 5, 2009

[...] Why Teachers Should Use Twitter [...]

108. Teacher Toolbox « S & D Inglês Personalizado - October 5, 2009

[...] Why Teachers Should Use Twitter [...]

109. Why Teachers Should Use Twitter | WilliamsonConnects! - October 7, 2009

[...] Laura Walker’s Nine Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter [...]

110. Fünf Gründe, warum man Twitter beruflich nutzen sollte » Lermann Public Relations – High-tech Media Relations, Online Relations, Corporate Social Media - October 8, 2009

[...] es gibt sogar gute Gründe, warum Pfarrer oder Lehrer twittern [...]

111. Fünf Gründe, warum man Twitter beruflich nutzen sollte » Lermann Public Relations – High-tech Media Relations, Online Relations, Corporate Social Media - October 8, 2009

[...] es gibt sogar gute Gründe, warum Pfarrer oder Lehrer twittern [...]

112. All by myself . . . don’t wanna be « In the pICTure - October 18, 2009

[...] similar tools to develop a professional leaning network.

113. Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Ed Tech - November 3, 2009

[...] Here are some answers that you might like to share. http://mrslwalker.com/index.php/2009/03/29/nine-great-reasons-why-teachers-should-use-twitter/ [...]

114. Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter | Ed Tech - November 3, 2009

115. 9 Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter | Digital Fingerprint - November 13, 2009

[...] full blog entry, and also the great comments below it, where others give their ideas for using Twitter within [...]

116. 9 Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter | Digital Fingerprint - November 13, 2009

117. Master of your own domain « Open Monologue - November 13, 2009

[...] are thinking (and eating for breakfast) right now. Laura Walker has put together a nice summary of why teachers should use twitter. David Weinberger once noted that the smartest person in the room is the room. I use twitter to be [...]

118. Master of your own domain « Open Monologue - November 13, 2009

119. „Nine great reasons why teachers should use twitter“ « Gedankengarten - November 17, 2009

[...] 21. April 2009 von Mirjam This is the title of an article by Laura Walker. You can find here: Nine reasons… [...]

120. December 2009 « S.A. E-Learning Newsletter - November 27, 2009

[...] hand to her ear]… I can hear you saying “Go on, convert me!”

121. December 2009 « S.A. E-Learning Newsletter - November 27, 2009

[...] hand to her ear]… I can hear you saying “Go on, convert me!”

122. Curriculum for Excellence in East Lothian » #movemeon - December 23, 2009

[...] I personally find twitter to be a useful tool for my own professional development – I use it as a personal learning network. The majority of the people I follow are fellow teachers, and I’ve had numerous interesting professional discussions with these colleagues from all over the country. You can read more on the benefits of twitter for teachers in this great blog post. [...]

123. Curriculum for Excellence in East Lothian » #movemeon - December 23, 2009

124. Tweets that mention Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter - Laura Doggett -- Topsy.com - February 3, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jason Cooper, The ICT Classroom. The ICT Classroom said: Nine great reasons why #teachers should use #Twitter from @lauradoggett: http://twurl.nl/p3nn53 [...]

125. Tweets that mention Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter - Laura Doggett -- Topsy.com - February 3, 2010

126. Teacher use of Twitter « Davemartin6's Blog - March 9, 2010

[...] http://lauradoggett.com/2009/03/nine-great-reasons-why-teachers-should-use-twitter/ [...]

127. Teacher use of Twitter « Davemartin6's Blog - March 9, 2010

128. Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter – Laura Doggett « iTeach @ Leeward - March 15, 2010

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter – Laura Doggett. [...]

129. Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter – Laura Doggett « iTeach @ Leeward - March 15, 2010

[...] Nine great reasons why teachers should use Twitter – Laura Doggett. [...]

130. Cat Tech » Blog Archive » Search versus social-media - April 8, 2010

[...] Over the summer, when we all have more time to read, to think, to discuss, and to practice, I'll host a workshop on social media. In the meantime, an Educational technologist like myself, Laura Dogget, has written about nine different reasons why teachers should use social networking [...]

131. Cat Tech » Blog Archive » Search versus social-media - April 8, 2010

132. My PLN (PERSONAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENT) « Notes from A Small Classroom - July 12, 2010

[...] Twitter is an excellent way for teachers to exchange ideas, help one another and share links to the materials they find on the web.  Others have kindly explained why so here’s a link for you to check out. [...]

133. An Educator’s Guide to Social Media « Kaleidoscope Happenings - January 27, 2011

[...] I came across this great blog post by the Head of Modern Foreign Languages at Berkhamsted School in Hertfordshire.  She offers great insites about the uses of Twitter and its benefits to teachers: 9 Great Reasons Why Teachers Should Use Twitter [...]

134. An Educator’s Guide to Social Media « Kaleidoscope Happenings - January 27, 2011

135. Twitter as a tool | collaborativeplanning - February 24, 2011

[...] our Secondary IT facilitator, recommended we read Nine great reasons why teachers should use twitter. Yes, I thought after each point, it all makes sense! But after my initial excitement calmed and I [...]

136. I’m Tweeting. You Should Too. | Shutters Unshuttered - April 21, 2011

[...] This blog post by Laura Doggett outlines nine great reasons teachers should use Twitter.  I won’t be repetitive by restating these reasons (do read them!), but I will say that I have found truth in all nine of them.  She says that “following smart people on Twitter is like a mental shot of espresso.”  I say not only that, but Twitter is also like a giant teacher’s lounge without the bad coffee and complaining! [...]

137. I’m Tweeting. You Should Too. | Shutters Unshuttered - April 21, 2011

138. Twitter for Teachers: Building your Network | The Creative Education Blog - June 21, 2011

[...] Nine great reasons teachers should use twitter [...]

139. Twitter for Teachers: Building your Network | The Creative Education Blog - June 21, 2011

[...] Nine great reasons teachers should use twitter [...]